Tuesday, May 5, 2009

screencasting

I've been working on doing some on-line course development for the district for a class for next year. They want a lot of podcast and/or screencast so I've been making a number of screencast lately. It is a lot harder than I thought it would be. It is very different being in front of a class and teaching something using a screencast than relying on just the screencast to get your message across. Doing the screencast and talking while your doing it was a challenge at times. I kept thinking of other ways I could say things and then would get off track a little and have to start all over. You can't preview with the software I'm using but you know when things aren't the way you'd like them to be when you get done. I can see that this could be very helpful for those students that miss my class and can watch these at home to get ready for when they do come back to class.

2 comments:

Karen said...

This sounds great, John! I hope it gets easier ... let us know if there's any way we can help.

Exploradora said...

Having explored the possibility and having undergone training in doing online learning in WL a number of years back, I can say that it depends largely on the instructor's talents and the content area how well it works.

In a field like WL, it is not so great, because WL instruction focuses on real-time, real (not virtual) interpersonal communication: that is why the "audio-linguistic" method (first in vogue post-Sputnik) of instruction was ultimately abandoned years ago after initial intense, expensive, investment in "language labs" and the like. Most students take a WL to communicate with others orally and in person, not virtually.

In a class like physics that is more textbook-based, with supplemental lectures, it is easier (except for labs??). I sure don't know much about that! what is the ultimate goal? Does MIT allow students to do physics 100% online--even if you can get the lectures 100% online?